Summary: Membrane MotB of proton-channel complex MotA/MotB
The Pfam group coordinates the annotation of Pfam families in Wikipedia, but we have not yet assigned a Wikipedia article to this family. If you think that a particular Wikipedia article provides good annotation, please let us know.
Membrane MotB of proton-channel complex MotA/MotB Provide feedback
This is the MotB member of the E.coli MotA/MotB proton-channel complex that forms the stator of the bacterial membrane flagellar motor. Key residues act as a plug to prevent premature proton flow. The plug is in the periplasm just C-terminal to the MotB TM, consisting of an amphipathic alpha helix flanked by Pro-52 and Pro-65, eg in D3V2T1. In addition to the Pro residues, Ile-58, Tyr-61, and Phe 62 are also essential for plug function .
Braun TF, Al-Mawsawi LQ, Kojima S, Blair DF;, Biochemistry. 2004;43:35-45.: Arrangement of core membrane segments in the MotA/MotB proton-channel complex of Escherichia coli. PUBMED:14705929 EPMC:14705929
External database links
This tab holds annotation information from the InterPro database.
InterPro entry IPR025713
This domain is found in MotB, a component of the Escherichia coli MotA/MotB proton-channel complex that forms the stator of the bacterial membrane flagellar motor. Key residues in MotB act as a plug to prevent premature proton flow. The plug is in the periplasm just C-terminal to the MotB TM (transmembrane helix), consisting of an amphipathic alpha helix flanked by Pro-52 and Pro-65, eg in SWISSPROT. In addition to the Pro residues, Ile-58, Tyr-61, and Phe 62 are also essential for plug function [PUBMED:17052729, PUBMED:14705929].
- the number of sequences which exhibit this architecture
a textual description of the architecture, e.g. Gla, EGF x 2, Trypsin.
This example describes an architecture with one
Gladomain, followed by two consecutive
EGFdomains, and finally a single
- the UniProt description of the protein sequence
- the number of residues in the sequence
- the Pfam graphic itself.
Loading domain graphics...
We make a range of alignments for each Pfam-A family:
- the curated alignment from which the HMM for the family is built
- the alignment generated by searching the sequence database using the HMM
- Representative Proteomes (RPs) at 15%, 35%, 55% and 75% co-membership thresholds
- alignment generated by searching the NCBI sequence database using the family HMM
- alignment generated by searching the metagenomics sequence database using the family HMM
You can see the alignments as HTML or in three different sequence viewers:
- Pfam viewer
- an HTML-based viewer that uses DAS to retrieve alignment fragments on request
1Cannot generate PP/Heatmap alignments for seeds; no PP data available
Key: available, not generated, — not available.
Format an alignment
If you find these logos useful in your own work, please consider citing the following article:
Note: You can also download the data file for the tree.
Curation and family details
|Number in seed:||1028|
|Number in full:||2913|
|Average length of the domain:||56.70 aa|
|Average identity of full alignment:||30 %|
|Average coverage of the sequence by the domain:||19.45 %|
|HMM build commands:||
build method: hmmbuild -o /dev/null HMM SEED
search method: hmmsearch -Z 23193494 -E 1000 --cpu 4 HMM pfamseq
|Family (HMM) version:||1|
|Download:||download the raw HMM for this family|
Weight segments by...
Change the size of the sunburst
selected sequences to HMM
a FASTA-format file
- 0 sequences
- 0 species
How the sunburst is generated
Colouring and labels
Anomalies in the taxonomy tree
Missing taxonomic levels
Unmapped species names
Too many species/sequences
The tree shows the occurrence of this domain across different species. More...
You can use the tree controls to manipulate how the interactive tree is displayed:
- show/hide the summary boxes
- highlight species that are represented in the seed alignment
- expand/collapse the tree or expand it to a given depth
- select a sub-tree or a set of species within the tree and view them graphically or as an alignment
- save a plain text representation of the tree